The Tyrer-Cuzick, or IBIS tool, is a risk assessment model that estimates the likelihood of a woman developing breast cancer in 10 years and in her lifetime. Tyrer-Cuzick is one of the most commonly used models at breast centers across the country. The number of questions posed and the inclusion of the patient’s breast density make the model quite time-consuming and can create bottlenecks in a breast imaging workflow if not deployed correctly.
The ideal implementation of Tyrer-Cuzick can differentiate a breast center from its competition and significantly increase breast MRI volume and genetic counseling referrals. These can lead to an increase in downstream revenue for a breast center.
The Manual Workflow – Tyrer-Cuzick Online Calculator
The online risk calculator is one way a mammography technologist could gather a patient’s risk score. In most cases, this requires multiple manual steps and creates a lot of work to get the risk score to the radiologist.
- The patient fills out history information on a paper form.
- If using TC v8, the tech looks up the patient’s density from last year.
- The technologist has to manually enter all history elements into an online risk calculator in addition to performing their other duties.
- A risk score is generated.
- The risk score gets written on a paper form.
- The paper form is delivered to a rad or scanned into PACS.
- The radiologist looks at the score and dictates it along with any custom follow-up into their finding report.
- A letter is generated for the patient, but may or may not automatically include information about their risk
In some workflows, the risk information isn’t calculated until after the radiologist assesses the patient’s density. This can cause a significant delay in report completion time.
The Ideal Workflow – Fully Integrated Tyrer-Cuzick
MagView helps breast centers build their risk assessment process from the ground up and takes their workflow from a manual process to an integrated and automated one.
- The patient completes a history questionnaire from home or on a tablet in the waiting room.
- The technologist reviews the history with the patient in the exam room.
- If the facility has a tissue density measurement system in use, the value is automatically pulled from this system and added to the calculation.
- The Tyrer-Cuzick score is calculated in real-time within MagView.
- The score is automatically added to the radiologist’s reporting platform and populates the report text (based on preferences).
- A custom risk letter is automatically generated for the patient and/or referring provider.
Clearly, the automated workflow is the ideal one. With the right tools in place, a breast center can deploy the Tyrer-Cuzick 8 model without any extra steps or lost time.
If your breast center is using the Tyrer-Cuzick risk model or looking to start running risk assessment on your patients, MagView’s team of workflow experts can help.